Leadgate Heritage Walk

Leadgate Community Liverwires intend to build on the work of the Leadgate Task Force on establishing a Heritage Walk around the village similar the one by Shotley Bridge Village Trust.

The Shotley Bridge Village Trust have supported the start of this project by providing the first 3 QR plaques, see below for the 3 plaque locations, yet to be installed.

We will also be working with the Heritage 100 Walk project to add to the planned walk from Leadgate. Any volunteers who would like to be part of the planning of the walk and also install of the plaques get in touch.

Eden Miners Hall - The Institute​

The Hall had an interesting early history, starting life as a Free Methodist Chapel before becoming a Joiners Shop then a Grocers Shop before becoming Eden Miners Hall in 1875. Although the building is clearly marked as the “Miners Hall” on the 1986 map of Leadgate Railway Station the building is quoted on other sources as being built in 1924, this may well refer to a modernisation or a rebuild.

Leadgate Railway Station

The railways came to Leadgate in 1896 as part of the North Eastern Rai​lway network. Situated on land that is now occupied by St Ives Gardens, it carried passengers and freight up to 1955 when passenger services were discontinued. The freight line remained in use until 1967 when the station was finally closed.

Leadgate Coop​​erative Society

Leadgate Industrial and Provident Society came into being in the Spring of 1870 and their first minuted meeting took place on the 11th April 1870. At that meeting officials were appointed, and the Society was launched. Initially the store was established ​in a room within the Golden Lion Hotel on Front Street however, due to its success and  popularity with the people of Leadgate, larger premises were soon needed. Over the next few years the store moved several times but continued to grow. The search for a larger store continued and the committee took the decision to build on some land that had been purchased from the Consett Iron Company. The works were completed and the new store, located on the west end of the village, opened its doors in December 1893.